Legal Sea Foods was born in 1950 at a local fish market in Inman Square, Cambridge. Next door was a grocery store, known as Legal Cash Market, where customers were given “Legal Stamps” (AKA S&H green stamps) with their purchases. It’s here that the “Legal” name became synonymous with quality and freshness.
In 1968, the first Legal Sea Foods restaurant opened, where the fish was simply prepared and served on paper plates at communal picnic tables. Despite the low-key trappings, the food was second to none and word quickly spread. Early success led to further expansion; and, ultimately became today’s Boston-based Legal Sea Foods Restaurant Group Inc., boasting two growing seafood concepts: Legal Sea Foods and Legal C Bar!
Maintaining its commitment to quality, freshness, and integrity behind the pier-to-plate journey, the company continues to reach for the highest standards. So, when we say, "If it isn't fresh, it isn't Legal!" we renew a commitment that has sustained the brand for over a half-century!